I hang out at...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage

I am not a huge fan of divorce. In fact, I feel pretty much as God does:
Malachi 2:16a
"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel...
However, I understand that sometimes it's necessary.

This looks like one of those times.

Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage
A Yemeni court on Tuesday granted a divorce to an eight-year-old girl whose unemployed father forced her into an arranged marriage this year, saying he feared she might be kidnapped.

"I am happy that I am divorced now. I will be able to go back to school," Nojud Mohammed Ali said, after a public hearing in Sanaa's court of first instance.

Her former husband, 28-year-old Faez Ali Thameur, said he married the child "with her consent and that of her parents" but that he did not object to her divorce petition.

In response to a question from Judge Mohammed al-Qadhi, he acknowledged that the "marriage was consummated, but I did not beat her."

(Full Story)

...sigh...

Thanks to Foxnews.com for the link.

No comments: