I hang out at...

Monday, April 28, 2008

Which is worse? Making up Bible verses or pulling them out of context?

I've discussed previously Nancy Pelosi's made up scripture reference. And that's a pretty bad thing.

But now I think we've got something worse in the public square. Rev. Wright, Obama's former pastor, was at the National Press club taking questions.

Here's the bit that I'm referring to:
“Question: Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the light. Is Islam the way to salvation?”

Wright: Jesus also said “other sheep I have, which are not of this fold.”

After Nancy's episode, I doubted this was in the Bible. But, sure enough, that's what John 10:16a says.

However, the full verse is
I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

John 10:16 (NIV)

So, does that mean that Jesus said Muslims are also on their way to salvation? Look at the rest of the verse: "They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

The Muslims, as least the radical Islamists, are interested in there being only one flock and one shepherd. But they are not listening to Jesus' voice nor are they interested in joining His flock.

So, no, Rev. Wright. That part of a verse pulled out of context does not mean that Islam is the way or even a way to salvation.

And thanks to Michelle Malkin for liveblogging the event.

No comments: